General Secretary Statement
2017 was an extraordinary and difficult year for Aegis. The Aegis teams have worked very hard with our reps and our members’ to deal with the various consultations and changes that our members employers have introduced.
There have also been a number of ‘must do’ activities that have greatly contributed to the overspend in the last financial year.
· Creating and sustaining the vision and the drive to succeed.
· Developing and implementing a clear strategy and gaining buy in from everyone involved
· Developing good quality relationships with new employers whilst maintaining the positive relationships with existing employers
· Building an effective team of full-time officers
· Introducing and embedding Unionlearn in all organisations
· Training and supporting a vast number of new reps in all branches to cope with the changes and to tackle the issues facing them in the workplace
· Delivering the benefits we promised to reps, members and employers.
We set out our three year strategy at the beginning of 2015 and we have now made significant progress towards it. Aegon, Skipton / CLS and Yorkshire divisions have project teams of reps working on each objective and are reporting back through their divisional meetings.
Our objectives for 2017 are listed below.
Ensure the long-term financial stability of Aegis without affecting the services we provide to our members.
Grow our membership through a consistent approach to recruitment and retention.
Create an environment that encourages and supports high performing reps.
Actively promote a positive image of Aegis both internally and externally.
Improve the communication processes throughout Aegis ensuring all interested parties know what they need to know at the right time.
We have made great progress on all objectives in 2017 but unfortunately at huge cost, especially as trying to achieve our goals whilst your employers were making singnificant changes in structure and strategy. We are currently working on a recovery plan that should see our costs reduce dramatically over the next financial year.
I’d like to thank everyone involved in helping Aegis achieve its goals and who strive to make Aegis a better union for its members.